Xossip

Go Back Xossip > ChitChat> News, Reviews & Gossip > Apple admits they deliberately slow down old iPhones

Reply Free Video Chat with Indian Girls

Old 24th December 2017
www.FilesFlash.net

coconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universe
Two charts from 3DMark benchmarking, one for iPhone 5 and the other for iPhone 6 (the first one is not really of interest, Apple only throttled iPhone 6 and up):

and so does ursula le guin

Old 24th December 2017
www.FilesFlash.net

coconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universecoconutpalm is one with the universe
I guess it does show a slight decrease in CPU performance for iPhone 6 ... which is what all the fuss is about?

Old 24th December 2017
www.FilesFlash.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureGuy View Post
Normal phone batteries are rated for 5000 cycles before needing change but they rate with with full recharge along with full discharge which rarely happens in real life.

typical battery in smartphones will last 800~1000 cycles with minimal loss which is more than life of a smartphones.

apple is being apple here and coming up with excuses to nudge you to get latest and greatest iphone
I'm no expert on the physics of lithium-ion batteries ... but this 5000 cycles seems way off-base. If you charge once a day, 5000 cycles is 10+ years.

They are rated with full discharge? That doesn't sound right either.

On my phone, when the battery reaches 15%, there's a conspicuous warning. I don't know if this is a manufacturer warning or an Android warning.

When the battery reaches 5% (this only happened once, trying to recollect), the display dimmed and the phone was no fun to use. Neither could I bring the display brightness back to normal. Again, I don't know if this is a manufacturer restriction or an Android restriction.

However, there is a good reason for this: Lithium-ion batteries get degraded faster if you discharge completely. That's why you are encouraged to recharge when it hits 15%, and that's why the display is inconveniently dimmed when the battery hits 5%. To prod users to charge immediately, thus increasing the longevity of the battery.

So unless you have a good reason (say, recalibrating the battery occasionally), you should not let the battery discharge all the way.

Old 24th December 2017
Custom title

Legal Officer has many secret admirers
If you charge your battery when your phone reaches 15%, then that 15% remains unused. That unused 15% is no longer needed then so, the remaining 85% battery is you 100% battery now. Similarly goves when you charge your phone everytime when it reaches 30%. Remaining 70% will be your 100% battery. Then you'll hear from them complaing about battery draining faster than before

Old 24th December 2017

The Kratos has many secret admirers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Male View Post
I agree with you, that why Microsoft stopped giving support for XP. Soon we will get more advanced batteries, i.e. paper battery and that will again change features as we saw during a move of smartphone industry from Nickel to Lithium.
paper battery kya bala aa gayi Li-ion battery suna hai?

Old 24th December 2017

The Kratos has many secret admirers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Officer View Post
If you charge your battery when your phone reaches 15%, then that 15% remains unused. That unused 15% is no longer needed then so, the remaining 85% battery is you 100% battery now. Similarly goves when you charge your phone everytime when it reaches 30%. Remaining 70% will be your 100% battery. Then you'll hear from them complaing about battery draining faster than before
Hmm... that happened to me but on my laptop, in starting battery stopped charging at 91% then slowly reduced to 67%, and battery status was always like 67%, not charging during charge. and in the and battery stopped working completely, nuksan ho gaya tha

Old 24th December 2017
Custom title

Nebelwerfer has received several accoladesNebelwerfer has received several accoladesNebelwerfer has received several accolades
putting non-replaceable batteries in handsets because they want to slim down these phones is a lame excuse. A nonrepair-compatible handset means more sales every year!

Old 24th December 2017

suv100 has many secret admirers
I think even google is doing this with android. If you look at the threads on various tech forums you can see people complaining how their phone speed has gone down after two-three years. Rooting the phone and removing all junk apps, clearing cache etc doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Old 24th December 2017

chacha chatra has disabled reputations
Quote:
Originally Posted by suv100 View Post
I think even google is doing this with android. If you look at the threads on various tech forums you can see people complaining how their phone speed has gone down after two-three years. Rooting the phone and removing all junk apps, clearing cache etc doesn't seem to make much of a difference.
android is already so smart, Google did this before anybody reach

Old 24th December 2017
www.FilesFlash.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimeter View Post
If it's refurbished then Apple could have replaced the the battery anyway.

If anyone buys a new one iPhone 6s now & then updates iOS to latest version, the user won't notice the slowing down since the phone would be slow from the start itself instead of gradually slowing down. Anyway Apple is now selling it with a discount & not at the same price at which it was initially sold.

My question is that why don't Android phones slow down due to battery concerns ? They have similar batteries & similar cpu's as Apple phones have.
I don't have an iPhone, and I am not sure if and why an iPhone slows down more than an Android phone. I am not in a position to do a comparison.

Android phones and iPhones have many similarities, both being smartphones. But they are not the exact same thing.

Maybe iPhones have thinner batteries? Maybe something to do with their design or processors? Maybe the processors in iPhones put greater demands on the battery? Who knows? It's a different design, so it'll come with its own features and anomalies.

It's not surprising that a phone would slow down after an year. There are many factors you can consider:

Consider an analogy. If you install Windows 10 on a desktop that shipped preinstalled with Windows XP, will it work? Will it be slow?

So it is is with iOS upgrades (or Android upgrades). The newer OS is optimized for use with newer hardware. If iOS is upgraded from v9 to v10, maybe the older hardware feels slower with the newer OS? In some cases, the difference in performance may be so small as to be imperceptible. Other times, maybe you feel a distinct lag?

Also, maybe iOS gets more updates than Android? I have a tablet that came preinstalled with Android KitKat (v4.4.2). The OS was never updated after that (I manually checked system updates too). Maybe the manufacturer has a reason not to update it? I wouldn't know. But not updating the OS may prevent the device from slowing down, at the cost of not getting the new features/security updates that the newer versions of the OS bring?

Similarly for apps.

An app may be designed for iOS 8 and iPhone 5 (some random example).

So v1 of the app is fast on iOS 8 and iPhone 5.

Then you have iOS 9 and iOS 10. OS on the phone gets upgraded. App may now be upgraded and optimized for use in iOS 10 and iPhone 7 (random example).

So it's no surprise if the app now feels slower on iPhone 5 ... whereas the initial version of the app may have felt faster on the older hardware/older OS.

The newer version of the app, which is optimized for newer hardware, may feel slower on the older phone.

Last edited by coconutpalm : 24th December 2017 at 11:55 PM.

Reply Free Video Chat with Indian Girls