Xossip

Go Back Xossip > Technology> Gaming > 'Assassin's Creed Odyssey' Is The Heir To The Witcher 3's Throne

Old 1 Week Ago
.:| The Notorious |:.
Visit my website
  Diamond: Contributed more than $250 for XP server fund    Spot the ball contest: Winner    Hero of Pics n Vids: Regular Contributor of Good Masala    Diamond: Contributed more than $250 for XP server fund    Hotty Spotter: Bollygallery contest      
.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database
Send a message via MSN to .:|PRiN@E|:. Send a message via Yahoo to .:|PRiN@E|:.
Cool 'Assassin's Creed Odyssey' Is The Heir To The Witcher 3's Throne

'Assassin's Creed Odyssey' Is The Heir To The Witcher 3's Throne

Consider the feeling you get when you embark on an adventure in a game. You mount your horse and follow the waypoint, you pull your boat out of port, you step through a portal: whatever. It's a key moment in any game, and it let you know about the experience you're having. Do you have a checklist of things to do, and are you wondering in which order to do them? Are you thinking about how long it will take, and how much time you've allotted to play? Are you wishing that waypoint would approach a little faster? Or are you just sort of looking at the horizon, waiting to see what pops up? Is it a world of tasks out there, or is it a world of possibility? The latter will serve you well, and the latter will keep you hooked for dozens of hours. And when I pull my boat out of port and let my sails down in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, I can't help but just wonder what I'm going to find.

I'm deep into Assassin's Creed Odyssey at this point and continually impressed at how Ubisoft has managed to keep me feeling this way even as I've killed hundreds of Spartan and Athenian soldiers, traipsed across a couple dozen islands and made my way through a couple of eerily familiar forts and conquest battles. It's the magic of a world that feels like it actually exists, in a genuine way. And when you're in a world like that you just want to see more.

It's hard not to play this game without thinking of The Witcher 3, CD Projekt Red's epic yarn that remains an industry touchstone for open world RPGs. On a basic level, Odyssey borrows heavily from the fantasy game in the way it weaves together action and stat-oriented combat, its approach to world design, even the way that your character has only one faithful steed instead of a whole roster of them--though said steed is reskinnable. But while Odyssey is far from the first game to try to mimic some of those ideas, it's one of my favorite.

We have all those same markers here, even if they're not quite on the same level as The Witcher. We have a charming protagonist that the player can guide down a gruffer or kinder path, never straying too far from a charming core. We have those handcrafted sidequests that have clearly had as much attention paid to them as the main storyline, giving us a sense of a world much broader than our own adventure. We have gameplay that just feels satisfying, on a basic level, and that allows even repetetive moments to feel alive. Here Odyssey is more expansive than The Witcher, but it winds up in a similar place.

Origins started us down this path. Origins introduced us to stat-based RPG systems and the current inventory system, to hitbox-based combat and a system of involved, handcrafted sidequests. Odyssey adds small things to this: the ability to choose your protagonist and dialogue choices, mostly. But it's not so much about what Odyssey changes but what it refines: both the main quest and the sidequests feel more engaging this time around, the naval system feels more complete, the combat abilities more useful, the world more varied and less flat--that last one is mostly just a result of the topographical differences between Greece and Egypt, but still important.

And that's the thing to remember about this game. It reinvents no wheels, either when you look at it from the perspective of its own franchise or from the perspective of games as a whole. From the Assassin's Creed point of view, it's an evolved version of Origins. From the industry point of view, it's The Witcher 3 with climbing and historical figures.

This is sort of Ubisoft is good at. The developer does step outside of its box with titles like For Honor and Rainbow Six Siege, but prime franchises like Far Cry and Assassin's Creed are examples of craft, more than anything else. Far Cry 5 might not be winning any GOTY awards, but it's a competent, fun sandbox shooter. They might not contain revolutionary ideas and they might not do many things you don't expect them to, but they do them well, Unity and Syndicate notwithstanding. And they do them with a level of detail that could only be made possible by the shocking amounts of developer-power a company like this can throw at a game. You can wonder whether this style is necessary or good for the industry and those that work in it, and those are important concerns. But you can't deny that it's impressive.

FORBES

Old 1 Week Ago
Cold Blooded

Assassin1997 has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAssassin1997 has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAssassin1997 has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAssassin1997 has celebrities hunting for his/her autographAssassin1997 has celebrities hunting for his/her autograph
Trailer is but don't have pc

Old 3 Days Ago
Visit my website
  Diamond: Contributed more than $250 for XP server fund    Spot the ball contest: Winner    Hero of Pics n Vids: Regular Contributor of Good Masala    Diamond: Contributed more than $250 for XP server fund    Hotty Spotter: Bollygallery contest      
.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database.:|PRiN@E|:. has hacked the reps database
Meet the Actors Behind Alexios and Kassandra

/DBOmid0FkVk

Old 1 Day Ago
Visit my website
Reached lvl 50

Discovered atlantis

Old 1 Day Ago

tacticalgamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool! I envy you! I'll have to wait for the 5.55/6 jailbreak I guess..

Old 1 Day Ago

As for Far Cry 5, the theme sticks with you above anything else. A religious cult operating out of Hope, Montana, feeding all kinds of bullshit to the people, which are deep and profound psychological ramblings- if you analyze them. Playing FPS sometimes makes me feel dizzy, but nonetheless this title is a superb addition to any collection.

Old 1 Day Ago

And as far as your title goes, it's bang on.. Witcher 3 will forever remain as a landmark in narrative game development. Kudos to CD projekt red. I'd playedWitcher 2 on my pc and it looks nothing like Witcher 3. A complete overhaul, you can say! As far as I can remember no two side quests felt the same ever. I have the complete edition and am yet to play the 2 dlcs.

Old 1 Day Ago

Since you seem to love RPGs, you can try Persona 5. I've just started playing it. Heard it's about 100+ hours and even more for completionists(which we are!). Keep in mind it's a JRPG. If you don't like anime much, you won't be able to enjoy it fully. Happy gaming!

Old 1 Day Ago

As for the Assassin's Creed series, one thing which you'd have also noticed is that the games leading up to Syndicate were action adventure. From there the series has welcomed the RPG elements and fused them explicitly in the gameplay. And that has worked wonders for Ubisoft. What's your fav AC game of all time bro?

Old 6 Hours Ago
Ultramod
  Silver Coins: Contributed $25-$100 for XP server fund    Super Moderator: Moderator of all forums      
dukhiatma has disabled reputations
satire article